The Symbol of the Church of God in Christ
The Symbol of the Church of God in Christ is an outgrowth of the Presiding Bishop’s Coat of Arms, which has become quite familiar to the Church. The design of the Official Seal of the Church was created in 1973 and adopted in the General Assembly in 1981 (July Session).
The obvious GARNERED WHEAT in the center of the seal represents all of the people of the Church of God in Christ, Inc. The ROPE of wheat that holds the shaft together represents the Founding Father of the Church, Bishop Charles Harrison Mason, who, at the call of the Lord, banded us together as a Brotherhood of Churches in the First Pentecostal General Assembly of the Church, in 1907.
The date in the seal has a two-fold purpose: first, to tell us that Bishop Mason received the baptism of the Holy Ghost in March 1907 and, second, to tell us that it was because of this out-pouring that Bishop Mason was compelled to call us together in February of 1907 to organize the Church of God in Christ.
The RAIN in the background represents the Latter Rain, or the End-time Revivals, which brought about the emergence of our Church along with other Pentecost Holiness Bodies in the same era. The rain also serves as a challenge to the Church to keep Christ in the center of our worship and service, so that He may continue to use the Church of God in Christ as one vehicles of Pentecostal Revival before the return of the Lord.